What is functional medicine and how can it help me?
Dr. Maria Garcia Lahens, a specialist in Aesthetic Medicine, Anti-Aging Medicine and Weight Loss. She uses a personal approach of integrating functional and conventional medicine to treat her patients physical and mental health symptoms and get to the root cause of their medical condition or symptoms.
Her passion is to find the most natural way to return the body to a state of balance and health by using the body's natural ability to heal. With her years of experience and her knowledge she is able to treat the following:
- Nutritional Imbalances
- Hormonal Conditions (thyroid disorders, andropause, menopause, premenstrual syndrome, polycystic ovary syndrome)
- Immune Disorders (allergies, diseases of the immune system)
- Gastric-intestinal conditions such as: SIBO, constipation, IBS, intestinal malabsorption
- Overload of heavy metals and other toxins (exposure to mold)
- Symptoms of aging (wrinkles, skin elasticity)
- Skin and related problems (acne, rosacea, dryness, hair loss)
- Adrenal gland disorder such as fatigue, cortisol imbalance
- memory loss, dementia
- Mood disorders associated with depression and anxiety
- Sleep disorders
- Chronic disorders such as blood pressure, high sugar and cholesterol, cardiovascular and kidney diseases, etc.
- Weight imbalances such as unintentional weight loss and weight gain
How will my first appointment look like?
The Initial Integrative Functional Medicine Consultation lasts up to 75 minutes.
Dr.Garcia will carefully review your medical history, family history, allergies, surgeries you've had, supplements and medications, lab and x-ray results you have from previous doctors, your current lifestyle, including your nutrition, food allergies and exercises. Based on this information Dr.Garcia will order a comprehensive and thorough blood work as well as other tests. These laboratories may include: blood, urine, saliva, functional tests such as nutritional status, comprehensive stool analysis, hormonal and inflammatory markers, genetic mutations, among others. Some specialized and functional tests are not covered by insurance and are charged as a separate fee.
How will the follow-up appointment look like?
- The Follow-up Functional Medicine Visit lasts 45 min.
- It is scheduled 3-4 weeks after the initial visit.
- In this consultation, the blood and/or radiological laboratories indicated in the first consultation are discussed.
- Recommendations are based on a more relevant approach to mind, body, and spirituality using high-quality prescription supplements, as well as pharmaceuticals if indicated.
- The treatment plan usually includes lifestyle recommendations including nutrition and exercise.
- Subsequent follow-up visits are scheduled between 1 and 3 months, depending largely on the patient.